Video Accessories Misc
- Written by John E. Johnson, Jr.
- Published on 20 August 2009
If you are "into" HD video cameras, you know that, with only one or two exceptions, they all have 1920x1080 native resolution now, many are 1080p (recording 1080p24 and 1080p30), and that you have a choice of camera storage of tape, hard drive, and memory cards. You also can choose a camera that has either one sensor or three. The one-sensor cameras are generally less expensive than the three-sensor cameras.
You would think that a three-sensor camera would produce a better picture than one sensor, right? Well, there are lots of factors involved. One is how well the sensors are lined up in the camera. This is critical, obviously, for a sharp image. Secondly, the number of pixels on each of the three sensors is not necessarily the same as on a single sensor design. Optimally, each sensor would have 1920x1080 pixels, one sensor each for red, green, and blue. That may be the case for studio cameras, which also have larger sensors (this results in much lower video noise), but it is generally not the case with consumer cameras. The Panasonic AG-HSC1UP is such an example, as each sensor has 560,000 pixels. By using pixel shift, they "simulate" the same total number of pixels that a single 1920x1080 native sensor has (but, in fact, the actual physical number of pixels is less).
A portable hard drive comes with this model, which lets you upload your videos while you are travelling. This comes in handy, as there is only 90 minutes of recording time on the built-in memory card.
- Design: 1920x1080 Native High Definition Video Camera
- Sensors: Three 0.25" (560,000 Pixels Each)
- Recording Format: AVCHD
- Recording Media: SD Card
- Recording Speeds: 6,9,13 Mbps
- Lens: 12x Optical Zoom, f/1.8-2.8
- LCD Monitor: 3"
- Sensitivity: 6 Lux
- Connections: HDMI, Component Video, External Microphone, USB
- Dimensions: 2.6" H x 2.9" W x 5.4" D
- Weight: 0.95 Pounds
- MSRP: $2,099 USA; Includes 40 GB Battery-Operated Hard Drive for Storing Videos While Travelling