Video Accessories Misc
- Written by John E. Johnson, Jr.
- Published on 30 June 2008
In the world of digital video cameras, there have evolved several ways of storing the images as they are recorded. The first one is the way it's been done for years: tape. The other three are more recent developments. For awhile, it looked like recording directly onto DVD might be quite interesting, but it never has really caught on. Then video cameras with built-in hard drives started showing up, and this design is now quite popular, in fact, the recording method of the camera under review here.
The last method is very new: recording video onto memory cards. Some professional level Panasonic and Sony HD cameras are now using this technology. The problem there is that the fast memory cards which can handle high bitrates are still very expensive. You can spend as much for the memory as for the camera. That will change, and I suspect, the memory card will be the storage medium of many future HD video cameras because it has no moving parts, and thus, does not consume nearly as much battery power as a tape drive or hard disk drive.
A few consumer-level video cameras have emerged recently which use 8 GB SD memory cards to record AVCHD format video, but what we really need is inexpensive, fast 64 GB (and beyond) memory cards that can be used universally in all types of HD video cameras - consumer and professional - so that high bitrate videos (25 Mbps - 100 Mbps) can be recorded for maximum quality. The ultra-fast sustained speed 64 GB memory card would provide more than 1 hour of 100 Mbps recording capability. The current SD memory cards can't handle that kind of sustained speed.
- Design: 1,920 x 1,080i, CMOS
- Recording Format: AVCHD onto 40 GB Hard Drive
- Lens: 10X Optical Zoom; f/1.8-3, 6.1mm-61mm
- LCD: 2.7" External; 0.27" Internal
- Optical Lens Shift Image Stabilization
- Outputs: HDMI, USB 2.0, Component Video
- 24p Mode
- External Microphone Input
- Maximum Recording Time: 5 Hr 30 min at 15 Mbps (Highest Speed)
- Dimensions: 3 H x 3.2"x 5.1" D
- Weight: 2 Pounds
- MSRP: $999 USA