- Category: Turntable Reviews
- Written by Jim Clements
- Published on 25 July 2012
Introduction to the Rega RP3 Turntable
Rega, the respected British hi-fi company, was officially founded in 1973 with a broad mission statement that is very elegantly stated on their website. The Rega mission is "to manufacture high quality, specialist hi-fi components that are reliable, consistent and sensibly priced". Ever since their founding, Rega has maintained an excellent reputation for meeting these objectives.
Similar to several other hi-fi manufacturers, Rega seems to never sit still. They are always working on the next new product offering. They continuously roll out new models. For example, Rega has recently updated four of their turntable models. The new turntables get an "RP" designation at the front of their model numbers which is presumably short for "Rega Planar".
REGA RP3 TURNTABLE SPECIFICATIONS
- Design: Belt Driven Turntable
- Motor: 24 V Low Noise, Low Vibration, Hand-tuned
- Platter: Glass with Felt Mat
- Speeds: 33-1/3 and 45 RPM
- Rumble: Not Stated
- Wow & Flutter: Not Stated
- Dimensions: 4.5" H x 17.5" W x 14.25" D
- Weight: 11 Pounds
- MSRP: RP3: $895 USD
- MSRP: Elys 2 Cartridge: $295 USD
- MSRP: TTPSU External Power Supply/Speed Box: $395 USD
- SECRETS Tags: Turntable, Rega, Elys
My review here covers the Rega RP3. It comes with the RB303 tonearm which is an update to Rega's venerable RB300 arm. Also reviewed here are the Elys 2 cartridge and the TT PSU speed box. The 3 series of Rega turntables is probably one of the best-selling turntable lines in the history of the world. Will this new model be able to sustain the momentum Rega has going for them? I can't wait to find out!