- Written by Piero Gabucci
- Published on 12 April 2010
While attending CEDIA 2009 in Atlanta I was introduced to Innovolt Inc. a company founded by Georgia Tech professor Dr. Deepak Divan in 2005 to develop surge protection for all types of applications. Although they make a variety of products including LED lighting fixtures, I was most interested in those that applied to our hobby of audio/video.
I was offered a plug-in unit called Plug In Protector (PIP-8) to take home and simply plug into a few outlets around my house for the purposes of recording electrical occurrences in my house. The unit keeps track of a variety of events including spikes to outages and brownouts. After about a month I returned the device for analysis. While I had it however it gave me instant feedback lights like improper grounding at any outlet via LED light readouts.
Within days I was sent a chart that shocked me outlining the behavior of the electricity in my house.
Current Spikes - 29
Voltage Spikes – 0
Over Voltages – 1
Brown Outs -2
Outages – 22
Although the PIP-8 offers each outlet protection, something more substantial was required for a whole system and Innovolt sent their new surge protection flagship in the HEM-X1000.
- Nominal Operating Voltage: 120V AC 50/60 Hz
- Maximum Continuous Current: 15 Amperes
- Interrupt Rating: 1000 Amperes per UL 1077
- Response Time: 4 ms
- Over Voltage Limit: 145 VAC +/- 4V
- Under Voltage Limit: 90 volts
- Voltage Surge per UL 1449: 2400 Joules
- Voltage Protection Rating: L-N 500V, L-G 600V, N-G 600V
- Unconditional Replacement Guarantee
- MSRP: $999 USA