Subwoofers

Sony VPL-HW10 LCoS Projector

ARTICLE INDEX
Sony VPL-HW10 front projector

Introduction

This is the third in a semi-regular series looking at affordable front projector systems, particularly projectors that don’t require a dedicated theater space. So far, we’ve looked at Sanyo and Mitsubishi projectors. Until recently, I had not considered Sony’s SXRD front projectors as candidates, for a couple of reasons. First, Sony projectors were not what I would classify as “affordable,” with MSRP’s typically starting at $5,000. Plus, the Ruby and Pearl models were really designed for dedicated rooms; they have limited lens adjustments and are not known for exceptionally bright output.

The VPL-HW10, sold under the Bravia brand, changed everything. With an MSRP of $3,499, it certainly fit in the “affordable” category (however, native 1080p projectors have just been announced at less than $1,000, which is really affordable). Also, the light output specs and lens adjustment options on the Bravia looked promising for use in my non-dedicated room. I have been impressed by the picture quality of the higher-end Sony’s, so was very interested to take a look at their newest entry-level projector.

Specifications

• Design: LCoS; Three SXRD Panels
  • Native Resolution: 1,920x1,080
  • Brightness: 1,200 ANSI Lumens
  • Full On/Off CR: 30,000:1
  • Lens: 1.6X Zoom
  • Inputs: HDMI (480i through 1080p24 and 1080p30), Component Video, S-Video, Composite Video
  • Dimensions: 6.75" H x 16.1" W x 18.5" D
  • Weight: 22 Pounds
  • MSRP: $3,499
  • Sony