- Written by Kevin Lichterman
- Published on 09 February 2009
- Denon AVR-1909 7.1 A/V Receiver
- Page 2: Setup of the Denon AVR-1909Â 7.1 A/V Receiver
- Page 3: The Denon AVR-1909Â 7.1 A/V Receiver Remote Control
- Page 4: The Denon AVR-1909Â 7.1 A/V Receiver in Use
- Page 5: Other Features of the Denon AVR-1909Â 7.1 A/V Receiver
- Page 5: The Denon AVR-1909Â 7.1 A/V Receiver On the Bench
- Page 6: Conclusions About the Denon AVR-1909Â 7.1 A/V Receiver
- All Pages
The main Denon remote, the RC-1099, is a two sided affair. The front side to the remote is dedicated to day-to-day operation. The back side houses what Denon designers decided were less used features andthese buttons are hidden under a plastic door. While I appreciate the effort to cut down on remote clutter, I was not a big fan of the setup. Some of the buttons on the front are large but overall they are not backlit so it can still be tough to find what you need in a darkened theater. Also, the door hiding the back side buttons is not too obvious and Iâ€™ll admit to some brief confusion during my initial setup. Until I cracked open the manual it seemed like some buttons were missing (what can I say, it was late). The best user interfaces rarely require the use of a manual.
How many users consult the Apple IPod manual? With this design I am also concerned with the long term durability of the remote. My kids have been known to obliterate even the kid -toughened Barbie dream houses so how long would a remote like this last in their hands?
Iâ€™d be remiss if I did not mention that the main 1909 remote is programmable. While it wonâ€™t be confused with a dedicated universal remote with learning and macro capabilities such as the popular Harmony remotes from Logitech, the Denon remote has a list of preset codes to cover mainstream components including DVD, satellite receivers and TVs.
A second remote, the RC-1108 is also included with the receiver. This remote is limited in function and is intended to be used exclusively to control the multi-zone control unit that can be purchased separately.