- Written by Chris Eberle
- Published on 15 May 2013
Introduction to the Mitsubishi HC8000D-BL 3D DLP Projector
Whenever I attend the CEDIA Expo, I visit all the projector manufacturers, both large and small. While Mitsubishi is a large company, their projectors are not as well-known as other brands. At the 2012 Expo, I had a chance to check out their all-new DLP models.
Mitsubishi currently offers four projectors in the Home Entertainment line, ranging from 1300 to 1500 lumens and 4000 to 330,000 to 1 claimed contrast. Naturally, I requested their flagship model, the HC8000D-BL. In addition to 3D, it offers frame interpolation, a 24p frame rate of 120Hz, 2D-3D conversion, a slick multi-iris system, and a compact lightweight chassis that makes installation easier. The imaging chip is Texas Instruments' DarkChip 3 and makes for some impressive contrast performance. You can read more about that in the In Use and On the Bench sections.
With even the best-performing projectors dropping in price to affordable levels, Mitsubishi has its work cut out for it in the sub-$3k segment. The competition comes in the form of LCD models; Epson and Panasonic most notably. And there are other DLPs from Optoma and BenQ that cover both sides of the $3000 price point. Let's unpack the box and see how Mitsubishi stacks up!
MITSUBISHI HC8000D-BL 3D DLP PROJECTOR SPECIFICATIONS
- Design: Single-Chip DLP 3D Projector
- Panel Type: 0.65-inch Texas Instruments DMD (DLP) DarkChip 3
- Color Wheel: 6-Segment, 4X and 6X Speed
- Native Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Native Resolution: 1920x1080
- Anamorphic Lens Support: Yes
- 3D formats: Frame-packing, Side-by-Side, Top-Bottom
- 2D-3D Conversion: Yes
- Throw Ratio: 1.4 – 2.1
- Lens Shift: 12-47% Vertical
- Light Output: 1,300 Lumens
- Contrast Ratio: 330,000:1 Dynamic
- Iris Control: 4 (3 Fixed, 1 Auto)
- Image Size: 50" – 300"
- Inputs: 2 HDMI 1.4a, 1 Component, 1 VGA, 1 3D Emitter
- Control: 1 RS-232, 2 12v Trigger
- Lamp Power: 240 Watts
- Rated Lamp Life: 5000/3000 Hours (Low/Normal)
- Dimensions: 5.6" H x 15.6" W x 12.9" D
- Weight: 12.6 Pounds
- Warranty: 3 Years with Express Replacement, 1 Year/500 Hours on Lamp
- MSRP: $2,999 USD with Spare Lamp
- 3D Glasses: Sold Separately, $199/each
- 3D Sync Emitter: Sold Separately, $99
- SECRETS Tags: Projectors, DLP, 3D, Video