- Written by Chris Eberle
- Published on 12 June 2013
Introduction to the Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 5020UBE 3D LCD Projector
Recently I reviewed Epson's new Home Cinema 3020e projector and found it to be a tremendous value in the under $2000 class. It offers killer 3D, wireless HDMI, and superb image for less than the price of a 60-inch TV. It was only natural that I should also check out its big brother, the Home Cinema 5020UBE.
The 5020UBE will run about $1000 more than the 3020e. For your extra cash you get lens shift, a slightly brighter image, pixel convergence adjustment, and THX certification for both 2D and 3D. Of course, that's just the spec sheet. The bigger question is – do you get greater performance? To spare you the temptation of skipping ahead, the answer is a resounding yes.
All of the Home Cinema projectors are based on Epson's own 3LCD technology. An evolution of business projection, they have taken the 3-panel LCD display far beyond its humble roots. The 5020UBE uses the latest-generation chips and a super-efficient lamp design to create maximum contrast, tremendous light output and superb accuracy.
I've enjoyed every Epson projector that has anchored my theater. In fact, this is the fifth such display I've reviewed and each one has been better than its predecessors. Will the 5020UBE measure up? I'm betting you already know the answer!
EPSON POWERLITE HOME CINEMA 5020UBE 3D LCD PROJECTOR SPECIFICATIONS
- Design: Digital Projector
- Panel type: 3 Poly-silicon TFT Active Matrix, 0.74-inch with MLA
- Native Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Native Resolution: 1920x1080
- Anamorphic Lens Support: No
- 3D Formats: Frame-packed, Side-by-Side, Top-Bottom
- 2D-3D Conversion: Yes
- Throw Ratio: 1.34 – 2.87:1
- Lens Shift: 96.3% Vertical, 47.1% Horizontal
- Light Output: 2,400 Lumens
- Contrast Ratio: 320,000:1 Dynamic
- Iris Control: 2 Auto Modes
- Image Size: 30" – 300"
- Inputs: 2 HDMI 1.4a, 5 Wireless HDMI, 1 Component, 1 Composite, 1 VGA
- Control: 1 RS-232, 1 12v Trigger
- Lamp Power: 230 Watts
- Rated Lamp Life: 5000/4000 Hours (Eco/Normal)
- Dimensions: 6.2" H x 18.4" W x 15.6" D
- Weight: 18.9 Pounds
- Warranty: 2 years
- MSRP: $2,899 USD
- 3D glasses – 2 Pairs Included, Additional Pairs $99/each
- SECRETS Tags: Epson, Projectors, LCD, Video, 3D