- Written by Chris Eberle
- Published on 24 April 2012
Introduction to the BenQ W1200 DLP Projector
With a steady flow of new models hitting the market since the CEDIA Expo, I've had plenty of projectors passing through my theater of late. When I got the opportunity to review the BenQ W1200, I realized it was my first time evaluating a product from this company.
BenQ is well-known in the projector world, though I am more accustomed to seeing them in conference and class rooms than in home theaters. They do however offer several models that are specifically aimed at the home theater and entertainment market. In researching this young (since 2001) company, I learned of their singular philosophy, "Enjoyment Matters." This mantra is applied to all their products no matter what the intent.
The W1200 represents the top of their Entertainment line. These products are value-priced and offer features for casual tabletop setups or small dedicated theaters. Since there are speakers built in, you can have movie night with just a Blu-ray player, the W1200 and some popcorn. If you want something to anchor a multi-seat theater, the W1200 can fill that bill too. It includes full calibration controls, all the necessary inputs for the latest receivers and players and a lightweight compact chassis. With a retail price of $1499 and a street price about $300 below that, BenQ is showing they're serious about competing in the crowded under-$3000 projector category. Let's cut the packing tape and take a closer look.
BENQ W1200 DLP PROJECTOR SPECIFICATIONS
- Design: Single-Chip DLP Projector
- Native Resolution: 1920x1080
- Maximum Refresh Rate: 60 Hz
- Lens Shift: No
- Throw ratio: 1.4-2.1:1
- Anamorphic Lens Support: No
- Light Output: 1800 ANSI Lumens
- Contrast Ratio:5,000:1 (full-on/full-off)
- Iris Control: No
- Image size: 24" – 300"
- Inputs (Video): HDMI 1.3 (2), Component (1), S-Video (1), Composite (1), 15-pin VGA (1)
- Inputs (Audio): RCA Stereo (1), Stereo Mini (1)
- Outputs: VGA Monitor (1), Stereo Mini Audio (1)
- Control: RS-232 (1), 12v trigger (1)
- Other: USB (1), for service use
- Lamp Power: 230 Watts
- Rated Lamp Life: 2500 Hr Normal, 4000 Hr Economy
- Dimensions: 5.5" H x 13.4" W x 10.25" D
- Weight: 7.9 Pounds
- MSRP: $1,499 USD
- Secrets Tags: Projectors, DLP