- Written by John E. Johnson, Jr.
- Published on 02 September 2008
- Movie Renter's Guide - September, 2008
- Point Break (Blu-ray)
- The Love Guru (Blu-ray)
- Pirates of the Caribbean Collection (Blu-ray)
- Leatherheads (Blu-ray)
- Forgetting Sarah Marshall (Blu-ray)
- The Godfather Trilogy (Blu-ray)
- Kill Bill: Volumes 1 and 2 (Blu-ray)
- Iron Man (Blu-ray)
- Hulk (Blu-ray)
- Speed Racer (Blu-ray)
- The Thing (Blu-ray)
- Casino (Blu-ray)
- All Pages
"The Thing" (Blu-ray)
It's 1982, and members of the US National Science Institute, Station 4, in the Antarctic, are shocked when a stranger approaches their compound shooting at a dog. They have to kill the stranger because he starts shooting at them as well, but theÂ dog is saved.
InÂ the kennel, the dog metamorphoses into a monster, and the team kills it before it can take on the shape of the other dogs.
Now it is apparent that something "The Thing" is beginning to infect members of the team, and since the monster takes on the shape of the animal or person it infects, everyone is suspicious of the other.
One of the team, R.J. MacReady (Russell)Â takes charge, and begins to test each member, hoping to force The Thing to reveal itself.
- Universal Pictures
- 1982, Rated R,Â 1 Hr 49 min
- Aspect Ratio: 2.20:1
- Codec: Not Specified
- EnglishÂ 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio
- Directed by John Carpenter
- StarringÂ Kurt Russell, Wilford Brimley, Richard Dysart, Keith David
- Violence: Graphic
- Sex: No
- Language: Bad
This is a remake of the original by nearly the same title (The Thing from Another World), from 1951, which was James Arness' first role, and was directed by Howard Hawks. At about 6 foot 5, Arness was perfect for the part. In 1982, it was still a bit early to use CG, so Rob Bottin built some astonishing monster latex creations.
The image quality is superb, mainly because this was a 70mm movie, so the film space from which to master the Blu-ray was twice the area of standard 35mm film.
Not much here except for the Director and Star Commentary.