- Written by John E. Johnson, Jr.
- Published on 01 June 2008
- Movie Renter's Guide - June, 2008
- The Eye (Blu-ray)
- Jumper (Blu-ray)
- Bella (SD DVD)
- Witless Protection (Blu-ray)
- Step into Liquid (Blu-ray)
- Meet the Spartans (Blu-ray)
- The Spiderwick Chronicles (Blu-ray)
- Weeds, Season 3 (Blu-ray)
- Chipmunks TV Shows (SD DVD)
- Gangs of New York (Blu-ray)
- National Treasure 2: Book of Secrets (Blu-ray)
- All Pages
"The Spiderwick Chronicles" (Blu-ray)
In the early 1900's, Arthur Spiderwick (Strathairn) discovers a world of faeries and goblins outside his home and writes a field guide on how to deal with them. His daughter Lucinda is hospitalized because she said he was carried away by the faeries.
Nearly 90 years later, theÂ great grandchildren, Jared, Simon, andÂ Mallory Grace,Â come to live in the house, and when they discover the field guide in an old chest,Â they also discover that the world of the faeries and goblins is still alive.
They locate their Aunt Lucinda in a local retirement home and enlist her help. She tells them the field guide must be protected at all costs or the goblins will destroy the faeries.
- 2008, Color,Â Rated PG, 1 Hr 41 min
- Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1
- Codec: Not Specified
- English DD 5.1, EnglishÂ Dolby TrueHD
- Directed by Mark Waters
- StarringÂ Freddie Highmore, Mary-Louise Parker, Nick Nolte, Joan Plowright, David Strathairn, Andrew McCarthy
- Violence: Mild
- Sex: No
- Language: No
The movie is based on five books so it tries to cover a lot of ground in less than two hours. It probably would have been better to spread this out in at least two films.
Good image quality, but way too much photography in dark rooms. I mean, how many families would move into a home in the middle of the night? The soundtrack is very rich and orchestral, composed by James Horner.
Lots and lots of them. The kids will enjoy these almost as much as the movie itself.