- Written by John E. Johnson, Jr.
- Published on 22 April 2010
- Home Theater Movie Renter's Guide - May, 2010
- The Young Victoria (Blu-ray)
- Traffic (Blu-ray)
- It's Complicated (Blu-ray)
- The Lovely Bones (Blu-ray)
- Goldfinger (Blu-ray)
- Leap Year (Blu-ray)
- Collateral (Blu-ray)
- The Blind Side (Blu-ray)
- The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (Blu-ray)
- Children of Men (Blu-ray)
- The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (Blu-ray)
- Double Identity (Blu-ray)
- Out of Afica (Blu-ray)
- The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (Blu-ray)
- Sherlock Holmes (Blu-ray)
- The Last House On The Left (Blu-ray)
- The Last Starfighter (Blu-ray)
- Minority Report (Blu-ray)
- Tombstone (Blu-ray)
- Spy Game (Blu-ray)
- All Pages
"Collateral" (Blu-ray) - Reviewed by Stephen Hornbrook
Long time cab driver, Max (Foxx), begins his night shift driving a lovely lady (Smith) to her office. After dropping her off, a hitman named Vincent (Cruise) hires Max for the night.Â Max thinks nothing of it, just a normal cab fare, until a body comes crashing down onto his cab.Â It doesn't take him long to put the pieces together and realize that this Vincent guy killed him.Â Vincent forces Max to drive him around L.A. to finish the rest of his job- to kill off key witnesses in a federal indictment of a drug cartel. A drug cartel ran by a man named Felix (Bardem).Â Max is not completely on his own, as Detective Fanning (Ruffalo) smells something fishy about the murders and eventually puts everything together to realize Max is just a pawn to the real hitman.
- 2004, Color, Rated R, 2 Hr
- Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1
- Codec: MPEG-4 AVC
- English 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio
- Starring:Â Tom Cruise, Jamie Foxx, Mark Ruffalo, Jada Pinkett Smith, Javier Bardem
- Directed by Michael Mann
- Violence: Yes
- Sex: No
- Language: Bad
I absolutely love Collateral. I would say it is one of my favorite movies. As good as Mann's epic Heat? No, not quite, but those are big shoes to fill. The story is good and the performances are terrific. I think this is some of Tom Cruise's best work.Â I have been looking forward to the Blu-ray release of Collateral and I have to say, Paramount has not let me down. The quality is top notch. If you too are a fan, waste no time and pick up this disc. If you have never seen the film? By all means, go rent it and watch it now!
Collateral is a wonderful looking and sounding disc.Â Many have complained about the "look" of Mann's film, all due to the fact that he used HD digital cams.Â Personally I like the way it looks and this Blu-ray HD transfer is fantastic.Â The DTS-HD track won't let you down either. There is so much feel to Vincent's gun shots.Â Great dialog levels and James Newton Howard's score really shines during the final scene.
This disc contains the theatrical trailer, a making of documentary, commentary with director Michael Mann, 4 Featurettes and a short Deleted scene. Decent stuff, but all previously available on the DVD and nothing has been converted to HD.