- Written by John E. Johnson, Jr.
- Published on 01 December 2009
- Movie Renter's Guide - December, 2009
- The Taking of Pelham 123 (Blu-ray)
- Angels & Demons (Blu-ray)
- Santa Buddies: The Legend of Santa Paws (Blu-ray)
- A Charlie Brown Christmas (Blu-ray)
- How the Grinch Stole Christmas (1965, Blu-ray)
- Wrong Turn (Blu-ray)
- An American Werewolf in London (Blu-ray)
- How The Grinch Stole Christmas (2000, Blu-ray)
- The Office: Season Five (Blu-ray)
- Battlestar Galactica - The Plan (Blu-ray)
- District 9 (Blu-ray)
- Inglourious Basterds (Blu-ray)
- All Pages
"Battlestar Galactica - The Plan" (Blu-ray) - Reviewed by Chris Heinonen
The remake of the Battlestar Galactica series on the SyFy channel was a huge suceess all around, with fans and critics both falling in love with the series that was produced from the start. BSG tells the story of how Cylons, the robot servants for hum"The Plan" goes back and tells us that same story, only this time from the point of view of the Cylons intead of the Humans. Using footage from the first four seasons of the show, in addition to all new scenes as well as new special effects, you can see how the story plays out from a completely different perspective.
- 2009, Color, Unrated, 1 Hr 51 min
- Aspect Ratio: 1.78:1
- Codec: VC-1
- English 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio
- Starring Edward James Olmos, Grace Park, Michael Trucco, Dean Stockwell
- Directed by Edward James Olmos
- Violence: Yes
- Sex: Yes
- Language: Yes
Hardcore fans will have undoubtedly already seen this new BSG "movie". While an interesting concept (telling the story from the Cylon point of view), the execution of "The Plan" ultimately falls flat and ends up feeling like an editing together of deleted scenes more than a coherent narrative. Devoted BSG follows will gain some small character and plot insights, but overall, as a more than casual BSG series viewer, I found the presentation a little boring.
For a film that is coming from the SyFy Channel, and I would imagine lacks the budget of a major network or film, The Plan looked very good to me. It has a very stylized look to it, but it looks as good as this film is going to look. The weakest point of the transfer is that you can now tell that the budget for special effects isn't up to what a major film would be, and they can look a little cheesy in comparison to everything else. The soundtrack, however, leaves nothing to be desired. From the early attack sequence you get some fantastic use of the surrounds and LFE channel, and it's really a wonderful DTS-MA HD track.
Extras include Deleted scenes, Featurettes on the director, the special effects, and the Cylons, a full length commentary with the director and writer, Battlestar Galactica trivia via BD-Live.