- Written by Ofer LaOr
- Published on 21 July 2008
This is the third media streamer I have reviewed by DViCO. Each time I review these units I keep thinking how much further can these guys take this technology forward? Well, apparently quite a bit.
The HD M6500A is a usability oriented unit, which is to say it focuses on doing what it does very well and being very simple and reliable, as opposed to focusing on flashy effects and too many useless features.
- Design: Media Streamer with Built-in Hard Drive
- Stores and Plays Back High Definition Video
- Streams Files through LAN
- Supports NTFS and FAT32
- Video Codecs Supported: wmv, avi, mpg, vob, mp4, asf, tp, trp, mkv, MPEG 1/2/4, DiVX, XVID, H.264
- Output Resolution: Up to 1920x1080p
- Connections: USB 2.0, HDMI 1.3, Component Video, S-Video, Composite Video, RCA Analog Stereo
- Dimensions: 2.9" H x 7.2" W x 5.5" D
- Weight: 10 Pounds
- MSRP: $550 USA with 500 GB Drive
The 6500 is an upgrade to the TViX 4100. The outer design is the same and I keep wondering why DViCO keeps changing the model name structure. Each generation they produce comes in both cylindrical and box shapes, but the numbers keep changing around. Other than the form factor, there really isn't much difference between the units (in this case, the 7000 is the cylinder shaped unit, and the 6500 is the box shaped unit). The front plate of the unit has been changed from shiny plastic to a shiny brushed aluminum panel. The difference is small and the 6500A can be easily confused with the 4100, that is to say they both look good.
The front panel LCD is quite easily seen from a distance and can be useful in the initial setting up process or when trying to have the unit to play back audio without turning on your display.