- Written by Chris Eberle
- Published on 12 December 2013
Introduction to the NAD D 3020 Hybrid Digital Amplifier
In 1978, NAD announced itself to the world of audio with the 3020 Integrated Amplifier. This product redefined what was possible in a value-priced audio component. Prior to that, there wasn't much in the middle ground between inexpensive receivers and high-end separates. NAD came out with a box that brought that high-end quality to an affordable level and ushered in a whole new legion of audiophiles.
When I left home for college in 1984, I brought my stereo system along. It consisted of a Kenwood receiver, Technics turntable, and a pair of Fisher 3-way speakers. After discovering a few high-end stereo shops in Boston, and having my turntable set up properly; I started shopping for a better amp. My meager funding ruled out separates but the proprietor of a small hi-fi shop pointed me to that now-familiar brown box. I returned to my dorm room clutching a brand-new NAD 3020, for which I believe I paid around $220. My reward was the cleanest sound I'd ever heard, bar none. I used that amp all through college and probably for another 10 years after.
Today, NAD has recreated this amazing product for the digital age. Where we once relied on vinyl and ferrous tape, now it's all about bits and bytes. The timeless philosophy of clean high-quality sound, versatile operation, and a low price has now given birth to the all-new D 3020 Hybrid Digital Amplifier.
There is in fact, a series of these amps. The leftmost box is the D 7050 with 50 watts per channel and AirPlay. The center unit is the D 1050 desktop DAC. At the right is the D 3020 which is the subject of today's review.
NAD D 3020 HYBRID DIGITAL AMPLIFIER SPECIFICATIONS
- Design: Two-channel Class D Integrated Amplifier with Eight-channel DAC
- Rated Power: 30 watts @ 8 Ohms
- IHF Dynamic Power: 65 Watts RMS @ 8 Ohms, 105 Watts @ 4 Ohms, 150 Watts @ 2 Ohms
- MFR: 20 Hz – 96 kHz (0 dB to – 0.3 dB)
- THD+N: 0.03%
- Maximum Sample Rate: 24/96
- Inputs: Asynchronous USB, Digital Coax, Toslink Digital Optical, Analog Stereo RCA, Stereo 1/8" Mini-plug
- Outputs: Five-way Speaker Binding Posts, Subwoofer RCA, Headphone
- Dimensions: 7.3" H x 2.3" W x 8.6" D
- Weight: 4.6 Pounds
- MSRP: $499 USD
- SECRETS Tags: NAD, Digital Amplifiers, Amplifiers, Stereo, Audio