- Written by John E. Johnson, Jr.
- Published on 24 November 2011
Introduction to the MD-75 Integrated Amplifier
If you attend any of the myriad audio shows around the world these days, you will notice that in the high-end exhibits, they are likely to be using a turntable as the source, and tube preamplifiers/power amplifiers to drive the speakers. Ten years ago, one might have said that tubes and vinyl are raising their heads again. Now, they are here to stay and are routinely offered as an alternative to the digital world of music.
Ming Da is company based in China that exports tube preamplifiers, power amplifiers, and integrated amplifiers in various price ranges, including some very high end models. They sell direct, through Pacific Valve, rather than through dealers, so you really get a good bang for the buck. This review, my first of a Pacific Valve product, is on the MD-75, which is a stereo integrated amplifier. It has a detached power supply for low noise and interference, a remote for adjusting the motorized volume control, and you can switch between triode mode (40 watts/channel output) and ultra-linear mode (75 watts/channel output). You can "tube roll" if you wish, and the review unit came with optional Genelex 12AT7's for the input stage, Black Treasure CV-181 driver tubes, and Black Treasure KT88 output tubes.
One very nice feature of this product is that, when you turn it on, the volume control rotates to the lowest volume setting, so you don't accidentally start playing music at a volume that might startle you.
Specifications of the MD-75 Integrated Amplifier
- Design: Stereo Tube Integrated Amplifier
- Power Output: 40 Watts/channel in Triode Mode, 75 Watts/channel in Ultra-Linear Mode
- Tube Complement: Two EH 12AT7 Dual Triodes, Two EH 6SN7 Dual Triodes, Eight EH 6CA7 Output Tubes
- MFR: 10 Hz - 60 kHz, -2 dB
- THD+N: >1% at Full Output
- Input Sensitivity: 200 mv for Full Output
- Inputs: XLR and RCA
- Dimensions: 10" H x 14.5" W x 18" D (Main Unit); 6" x 5" x 11.5" (Power Supply)
- Weight: 75 Pounds Total
- MSRP: $2,367 USD (Base Price with EH 12AT7 Input Tubes, EH 6SN7 Driver Tubes and EH 6CA7 Output Tubes); $2,971 USD (with Genelex 12AT7 Input Stage Tubes, Black Treasure CV-181 Drivers, and Black Treasure KT88 Output Tube Options as Reviewed)
- Pacific Valve
- SECRETS Tags: Amplifiers, Integrated Amplifiers, Tubes