Headphones and Earphones
- Written by Don Disbennett
- Published on 09 June 2014
Polk Audio Nue Voe In-Ear Headphones Review Highlights
Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity has been following the burgeoning headphone market by bringing its readers headphone reviews of the latest offerings from the premier audio companies.
This review looks at the Polk Audio Nue Voe in-ear headphones (earbuds) which features a single balanced armature design whose frequency response has been tailored with a passive equalized network (P.O.E.T.). The purpose of this design feature is to allow this type of driver to produce bass response more closely matching the midrange and high frequency output. At the expense of some sensitivity, this design allows the earphones to produce full bass response, while maintaining the rest of the audio spectrum in a stylish and highly portable form factor.
Polk Audio Nue Voe In-Ear Headphones Highlights Summary
- • Frequency response above and below the range of normal hearing
- • Stylish design
- • Three-button remote for I-devices
- • Loop design holds earphone in place during activities such as walking
- • Multiple tip sizes and designs included for comfortable fit
- • Requires a bit more power to drive than many similar earphones
Introduction to the Polk Audio Nue Voe In-Ear Headphones Review
Polk Audio is a name long known for making quality speakers, having been founded in 1972 by Matthew Polk, George Klopfer and Sandy Gross, who later co-founded two other well-known speaker companies. Secrets reviewed and awarded a Best of Award for the Polk Audio LSiM speakers in 2013.
POLK AUDIO NUE VOE HEADPHONES SPECIFICATIONS
- Design: Single Balanced-Armature In-Ear Headphones (Earbuds)
- MFR: 10 Hz – 21.5 kHz (-3 dB)
- Nominal Impedance: 32 ohms
- Cable Length: 48”
- Included Ear Tips: Silicone and Memory Foam
- Input Connection: 3.5 mm Gold-Plated
- Color: Black with Silver trim
- Sensitivity: 101 dB
- MSRP: $199 USD
- Polk Audio
- SECRETS Tags: Polk Audio, Nue Voe, In-Ear Headphones, Earphones, Earbuds, Single Balanced Armature, Polk Heritage, Headphone Reviews 2014
It seems that just about every major audio manufacturer has jumped into the headphone arena over the last several years, some mimicking their success in electronics or loudspeakers and some who found that designing and building a headphone was a bit different from designing a loudspeaker, receiver or even a high end audio cable.
The Polk Nue Voe is part of Polk’s Heritage Collection which consists of two full-size headphones and two earphones, the Nue Voe being the more expensive of their earphones.