- Written by John E. Johnson, Jr.
- Published on 21 December 2009
In the world of flat panel HDTVs, VIZIO has the largest market share, mainly because right from the start, they offered good quality at very low prices. This forced the competition to lower their prices as well, but VIZIO still is the least expensive.
- Design: 55" LCD HDTV
- Backlighting: 960 LEDs in 80 Control Blocks
- Contrast Ratio: 2,000,000:1
- Inputs: 5 HDMI, 2 Component Video, 1 S-Video, 1 Composite Video, 1 PC VGA, 1 USB
- Outputs: Stereo Analog Audio, Toslink Digital
- Dimensions: 36" H x 51.5" W x 13.5" D
- Weight 90.2 Pounds
- MSRP: $2,199 USA (Street Price $1,899 at Costco)
Only a few years ago, VIZIO was a name no one had heard of. Now, they are everywhere, and they are flying off the store shelves.
I still have the first VIZIO that I purchased, and it did not have the great black levels that the big name LCD HDTVs had, and the falloff when viewing off-axis was poor. Slowly, but surely, VIZIO improved on their models, and a few weeks ago, I attended a press conference in San Francisco, where VIZIO displayed their newest model, the VF551XVT, which is a 55" LCD flat panel HDTV.