- Written by Chris Heinonen
- Published on 17 December 2012
Introduction to the Samsung PN51E8000 Plasma HDTV
Not long ago plasma and LCD were in a fierce competition for the flat panel market, but LCD has dominated sales the past few years. While the general public has moved to LCD for brighter images and more size choices, plasma has remained the favorite of home theater enthusiasts and reviewers. Offering better viewing angles, less 3D crosstalk, better motion resolution and lower black levels, plasma panels put out plenty of light for a normal viewing environment and typically offer a better picture for the money than comparable LCDs.
Samsung is one of the leaders in the plasma industry and their E8000 line is their top-of-the-line plasma this year. It offers the lowest black levels they can offer, almost any picture adjustment that you might want, the full array of online applications for their SmartTV platform, and even voice control. Samsung even includes the 3D glasses in the box so you are ready to go as soon as you set it up. Does Samsung manage to keep plasma at the top of the display chain, or have LCDs caught up?
SAMSUNG PN51E8000 PLASMA SPECIFICATIONS
- Design: Flat Panel Plasma HDTV
- Diagonal Size: 51"
- Native Resolution: 1080p
- Refresh Rate: 60 Hz
- Connections: 3x HDMI, 1x Component, 1x Composite, 3x USB, 1x Analog Audio, 1x Toslink (output), 1x Headphone (input), 1x Ethernet
- Online Content: Netflix, Amazon OnDemand, Hulu Plus, and More
- Weight: 47 Pounds without Stand
- Dimensions: 28.1" H x 47" W x 1.9" Deep, without Stand
- MSRP: $1,799 USD
- SECRETS TAGS: Samsung, Plasma, TV, HDMI, Video