- Written by Jim Clements
- Published on 02 July 2014
Induction Dynamics ID1 Floor Standing Speakers Review Highlights
The Induction Dynamics ID1 speakers represent a unique design with their very own style and interesting installation flexibility. Secrets has reviewed numerous Floor standing Speakers over the years. In the current review, I gave the ID1 speakers a thorough evaluation complete with a full slate of bench tests.
The speakers measured well; low distortion and a full frequency response from 25 Hz all the way out past the limits of human audibility. But that was only one part of the story. Subjectively, these speakers had an articulate sound that remained smooth and non-fatiguing at all playback levels. And they showed excellent imaging properties, filling the room with all their lusciousness.
Induction Dynamics ID1 Floor Standing Speakers Highlights Summary
- • Excellent imaging
- • Full-range frequency response (4-way, 5-driver towers)
- • Articulate sound
- • Excellent bench test results
- • Plays really loud
- • Deep and clean bass response
- • A little wobbly with no floor spikes
- • Pedestrian styling
Introduction to the Induction Dynamics ID1 Floor Standing Speakers Review
I’ve wanted to review these speakers for quite some time. It took awhile for the stars to align so I could get these bad boys in and give them a good going over. Now I’ve had my time with them and they proved to be everything I had hoped for.
INDUCTION DYNAMICS ID1 FLOOR STANDING SPEAKER REVIEW SPECIFICATIONS
- Design: 4-Way Floor standing Speaker
- MFR: 25 Hz – 22 kHz
- Tweeter: 1.125" Titanium Inverted Dome
- Midrange: 3” Soft Dome
- Woofer: 6.5” Kevlar Cone
- Subwoofer: 2 ~ 10” Mica-Graphite Poly Cone
- Loading: Bass-reflex
- Crossover Frequencies: 80 Hz, 700 Hz and 3.8 kHz
- Sensitivity (2.83V @ 1 m): 89 dB
- Nominal Impedance: 8 Ohm (Upper), 4 Ohm (Subwoofer)
- Power Handling (RMS): 150 Watts (Upper), 800 Watts (Subwoofer)
- Inputs: Gold-Plated Binding Posts
- Weight: 90 Pounds/each
- Dimensions: 45.25" H x 11" W x 10.5" D
- Available Finishes: Piano Black and Custom Satin Finishes Available
- MSRP (Pair): $11,786 in any Satin Paint Finish or $13,877 in Gloss Black, USD
- Induction Dynamics
- SECRETS Tags: Induction Dynamics, Induction Dynamics ID1, Floor standing Speakers, Main Speakers, Full Range Speaker
Against the backdrop of other speaker companies, Induction Dynamics truly marches to the beat of a different drummer. Their speakers do not appear to follow industry norms. You won’t find them designing speakers with the technology du jour or beholding to other current trends in speaker design. Instead, they use tried and true technologies that they have developed and refined over decades of research, development and through thousands of units in the field. When you get right down to it, their philosophy really could be the old adage “form follows function”.
In the case of the ID1’s, Induction Dynamics has built a large and tall floor standing speaker that is a bit precarious in its stance with a cabinet that is wider than it is deep. They somehow managed to shoehorn five drivers into this cabinet. This would be an inverted dome tweeter, a soft dome midrange, a Kevlar mid bass driver and two 10” subwoofers. That is a lot of speaker in the cabinet and there are some hidden technologies in there as well.