Center Channel Speakers
- Written by Gabe Lowe
- Published on 02 June 2014
GoldenEar SuperCenter XL Center Channel Speaker Review Highlights
Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity has long been a leader in reviews of all ranges of home theater and audio gear. This review covers the brand new high-end center channel speaker from GoldenEar Technology, the company founded by well-respected industry veteran Sandy Gross. The SuperCenter XL is designed to perfectly compliment the GoldenEar Triton Series Tower Speakers using the same fantastic High Velocity Folded Ribbon (HVFR) tweeter along with two 5.25" cast-basket mid/bass drivers and two 6.75" x 8" quadratic planar low-frequency radiators. Extending all the way down to 36 Hz, this center channel can handle any movie mix thrown at it without fail.
GoldenEar SuperCenter XL Center Channel Speaker Review Highlight Summary
- • The SuperCenter XL is designed to match the Triton towers
- • Bass extension is greater than with the SuperSat 60C
- • Fantastic sound stage created by the SuperCenter XL paired with the Triton Towers
- • The SuperCenter XL reproduces deep vocal ranges fantastically
- • Multichannel music applications are extremely well suited to the speaker as well
- • Highly recommended to round out a Triton cinema system
Introduction to the GoldenEar SuperCenter XL Center Channel Speaker Review
Late last year I put together a new home theater with all new speakers. It was the first time I made such a drastic change to my system in nearly 14 years. After auditioning a few different brands and models, I decided on the GoldenEar Triton Two towers for L/R, SuperSat 50 for surrounds, SuperSat 3 for rears, and a SuperSat 60c for my center channel. I loved every minute of it straight from the beginning, but I made this purchase knowing that at some point (likely CEDIA), there would be a new center channel model to more closely match the Tritons. True to my source's words, the SuperCenter and SuperCenter XL models made their debut and I was ready to test the XL (the larger of the two models). While I had been very happy with the performance of the SuperSat 60c, I wanted something with more power at the lower ranges that better fit my room.
Check out the video below, which shows the speaker from all angles and discusses its features.
GOLDENEAR SUPERCENTER XL CENTER CHANNEL SPEAKER SPECIFICATIONS
- Design: Three-way
- Drivers: One - HVFR™ High-Velocity Folded Ribbon High-Frequency Radiator; Two - 5.25˝ Cast-Basket Mid/Bass Drivers; Two - 6.75˝ x 8˝ Quadratic Planar Low-Frequency Radiators
- MFR: 36 Hz - 35 kHz
- Efficiency: 91 dB
- Dimensions: 29" H x 5.75" W x 11" D
- Weight: 21 Pounds
- MSRP: $799 USD
- SECRETS Tags: GoldenEar, GoldenEar SuperCenter XL, GoldenEar Center Channel, Triton Series
The SuperCenter XL speaker contains two 5.25" cast-basket mid/bass drivers, one High-Velocity Folded Ribbon (HVFR™) high-frequency radiator, and two 6.75" x 8" quadratic planar low-frequency radiators. Of course, if you have done any reading about GoldenEar, the ribbon tweeter is a key distinguishing feature of the product line, and is used to extremely positive effect in the Tritons and SuperSat speakers. I expected no less of its performance in the SuperCenter XL center channel speaker.