- Written by Chris Heinonen
- Published on 17 September 2012
Introduction to the Sony BDP-S790 Blu-ray Player
Earlier I looked at the Sony BDP-S590 Blu-ray player and found that apart from a bug in the RGB decoding (fixed in the BDP-S590 as of July 21, 2012) the player performed very well. Higher up the line, Sony has the BDP-S790 Blu-ray player that adds a few more specialized features. Dual HDMI outputs, a faster processor for a more responsive interface and load times, far more image adjustments and tweaks, and 4K output are all available on the S790.
Given that the S590 was already very good and there isn't much to be improved on the Blu-ray playback side of things, most of my interest in the S790 focused on the additional features available and how they worked for DVD and streaming playback, as well and what the image enhancements did for Blu-ray playback.
- Design: Blu-ray Player
- Streaming Support: Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, VUDU, HuluPlus, Flickster, Pandora, YouTube, and Dozens More
- Connections: Dual HDMI 1.4a, Composite Video, Optical Audio, Coaxial Audio, LR RCA Audio, USB Front and Rear, Ethernet
- Dimensions: 1.8" H x 17" W x 7.8" D
- Weight: 3.3 Pounds
- MSRP: $250 USD
- Secrets Tags: Blu-Ray, Sony, Video